Our BusinessesNuclear Power Plant
Watching over the safety of nuclear power
Our core business is in providing an extensive range of services for nuclear power stations, including plant maintenance and the management and disposal of radioactive waste, etc.
Equipment operation and maintenance
We carry out the operation and maintenance of equipment at nuclear power stations, and also perform a range of operations using machinery and apparatus for the purpose of improving operability and safety.
Construction and decontamination
We work with various kinds of decontamination equipment and decontamination agents in order to remove radioactive substances from buildings, equipment, and machinery, etc. We also carry out maintenance to prevent contamination by radioactive substances.
Approximately 600 qualified Radiation Safety Officers carry out a wide range of tasks for radiation management related to the work done at nuclear power facilities and other locations. We also have experience in working with electric power companies, equipment manufacturers, and other related companies.
Radioactive waste disposal
We employ a wide range of treatment and disposal methods in order to deal with the liquid and solid radioactive waste generated by facilities such as nuclear power stations, thereby keeping the radioactive waste storage volume to an absolute minimum.
Range of tasks
- Collection, radiation measurement, dismantling and separation, volume reduction processing (decontamination, pulverization, crushing, compression, etc.), maintenance and management (transportation, storage, control, etc.) of radioactive waste.
- Design and production of electro-polishing decontamination devices, blast decontamination devices, cutting devices, baling machines, dust collectors, drum surface inspection devices, etc.
Solid radioactive waste treatment
- Waste collected at garbage dumps is separated into burnable and non-burnable waste.
- Burnable waste is taken to the incinerators. Non-burnable waste (metals, etc.) is packed directly into drums.
- Waste that has been reduced to ash is stored in drums.
- Waste that has been packed into drums is kept at a storage facility on site at the nuclear power station.
Liquid radioactive waste treatment
- Radioactive substances contained in radioactive waste liquids are filtered and concentrated using a liquid waste evaporator.
- Material that could not be filtered (residual waste) is solidified using concrete, asphalt, or plastic. Water that has been filtered is returned to the natural environment at a later date.
- Residual waste that has been solidified using concrete, asphalt, or plastic, is packed into drums and then kept at a storage facility on site at the nuclear power station.
* At RI facilities (for example, university research and development facilities), neither solid nor liquid waste may be stored on site. Therefore, as part of Atox's radioactive waste treatment business, we separate this waste and deliver it to the Japan Radioisotope Association.
What is decomissioning?
Decommissioning is the dismantling, demolition, and removal of a nuclear power facility that has been shut down permanently due to ageing.
The separation, stabilization, and disposal of radioactive materials is carried out while taking care not to allow radioactive materials or radiation to leak outside of nuclear facilities, thereby preventing waste and excessive exposure to radiation.
In Japan, nuclear power facilities are phased out over a comparatively long time span, ranging from 24 to 40 years.
At a nuclear power plant, after the spent nuclear fuel is removed from the nuclear reactor, while we wait for the attenuation of the sections that have high radiation dose equivalent rates due to the activation of the nuclear reactor and from radioactive materials, we go from Stage 1, the dismantling and removal of equipment and machinery from non-radiation controlled areas, to Stage 2, the dismantling and removal of plant and equipment around the reactor, Stage 3, the dismantling and removal of the reactor itself, and then Stage 4, the demolition of the buildings and the greening of the site.
Because decommissioning is a long-term project, it is necessary to maintain and manage equipment and machinery to prevent the leakage of radiation or radioactive materials. For that reason it is important to carefully plan the order of the dismantling and removal of equipment and machinery and the transition to the use of temporary facilities.
In addition, all materials that contain any radioactive materials are either buried or recycled according to the type of radioactive materials and their quantities, so it is important to know in advance the types, quantities, and properties of radioactive materials in each part of the facility, as well as to plan and secure the treatment methods for stabilization and the necessary plant and equipment, and disposal sites.
At ATOX, we perform a range of tasks involved in decommissioning, such as the measurement and recording, dismantling and removal, decontamination, sorting and waste volume reduction of the various buildings and plant and equipment at nuclear power facilities, nuclear fuel factories and other estalishments handling radioactive materials. In addition, we develop many kinds of machinery and apparatus necessary for this work, and also work to improve work safety and quality, reduce exposure, improve work efficiency, and reduce costs.
Cleaning and laundry services
We provide cleaning services for the maintenance of the external appearance of nuclear power related facilities and ordinary facilities, thereby maintaining a pleasant and safe working environment, and laundry services for the cleaning of the clothing and protective gear that is worn at nuclear power stations and radiation controlled areas, as well as the provision and replenishment of protective equipment and items.
Equipment and plant maintenance
We provide a wide range of services involving the installation, inspection, and repair of equipment at nuclear power related facilities and ordinary facilities, helping to maintain safety at the facilities.
And in the construction of new power stations, we provide total solutions, covering everything from design to construction.